Dr. Banos has expertise in minimally invasive surgical techniques such as shoulder and knee arthroscopy, rotator cuff repair, joint preservation, and ACL reconstruction. He also specializes in performing shoulder, hip, and knee replacements. Dr. Banos utilizes the latest technology for total and partial joint replacements including advanced computer navigation, patient specific instrumentation, custom implants, and robotic assisted surgery. He performs both MAKO robotic hip and knee replacements, as well as custom knee replacements. He uses 3D planning software and patient specific instruments for shoulder replacements. Imaging obtained prior to surgery is used to create a computerized 3D model of the joint, which is then used for patient-specific implant placement during surgery.
Dr. Banos trained at Loyola University Medical Center, a Level 1 Trauma Center in Chicago, IL, and has extensive experience in the management of extremity fractures. He is skilled in both surgical and nonsurgical treatment of upper and lower extremity fractures (broken bones).
Dr. Banos received a degree in Biomedical Engineering from Northwestern University before obtaining his doctorate from the New York University School of Medicine. He trained in Orthopedic Surgery at Loyola University in Chicago and went on to complete a fellowship in Sports Medicine at Harvard Medical School / Brigham and Women’s Hospital. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, and the Massachusetts Orthopedic Association. He is board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
A native of the north Boston area, Dr. Banos enjoys outdoor activities and is an avid skier, hiker and boater. He lives in Newburyport with his wife Emily and his two children.
Education & Training
- Northwestern University, Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering
- New York University School of Medicine, Doctorate in Medicine
Post Graduate Training
- Loyola University Medical Center, Orthopedic Surgery
- Harvard Medical School / Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Sports Medicine
Certifications & Licensure
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Awards, Honors, & Recognition
Honors and Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Certificate of Excellence in Clinical Research, Loyola University
Professional Society Memberships
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Massachusetts Orthopedic Association
Seacoast Orthopedics & Sports Medicine
21 Highland Ave Ste 16
Newburyport, MA 01950
Mon-Thu 8:30 Am-5:30 Pm
Fri 8:30Am - 5:00Pm